Places to Visit
West Hill House B&B is the perfect base for exploring the Mad River Valley of Vermont.
Most guests truly enjoy spending at least 3 days in the area to take advantage of several of our self-guided one day outings as well as the many other activities and attractions available both in warm weather and in cold.
We have several self-guided day-trips mapped out. Each trip is easy travel from West Hill House and we will be happy to show you detailed directions on the map before you set out. Many activities are free though some admission fees apply. We’ll note places en route for lunch. Return to West Hill House B&B in the afternoon and enjoy a beverage and relaxation before going out for your evening meal.
Or let us help you design your own self-guided tours and activities. You may wish to consider including the following:
- The Food Tour includes: ice cream at Ben and Jerry’s (complimentary entrance), a variety of cheeses at Cabot Cheese, apple cider and cider doughnuts at Cold Hollow Cider Mill as well visit Danforth Pewter and Ziemke Glass Blowing studio.
- Covered Bridge Tour New England icons: these bridges vary in style and length. Beautiful to see, fun to travel through and interesting architecturally.
- Shopping Tour: Visit local shops including the Farmers’ Market (Saturday mornings June-October), antique shops, a kitchen store with cooking classes, art and photography galleries, home décor shops, book shops and pottery and glass blowing studios.
- Hiking Tour: In this area there are easy walks under an hour as well as 4 to 8 hour hikes with a bit of challenge to them though not requiring special equipment other than good hiking boots, appropriate clothing and lots of energy.
- Waterfall Tour: A variety of beautiful waterfalls can be found on this self-guided tour so have your cameras ready. All have amazing views and several have woodland walks.
- Shelburne Farm: Visit a 566 hectare working farm and National Historic Landmark. Explore on your own or join one of the guided tours.
- Shelburne Museum offers an immense collection of buildings, art, toys, automata, carriages, decorative and folk art, fabrics and tools and special exhibits. Café on premises. Discount admission available.
- Sled Dog Rides: Have an opportunity to drive the dog team as well as tucked in to enjoy the ride.
- Skiing & Riding: Superb downhill is just a few minutes away with ski and ride at Sugarbush and downhill, telemark and backwoods skiing at Mad River Glen. Equipment rental is available at both areas.
- Cross Country Skiing at Ole’s Cross Country Ski Area or at Blueberry Lake offer 40km plus of groomed trails and equipment rental.
- Snowshoeing and Sledding is just across our field. We have sleds and snowshoes for our guests to use.