Vermont – the word immediately brings up the vision of relaxing and romantic settings, comfortable, friendly and safe environments, and great hospitality. Another favourite association is the famous line from the movie White Christmas – “Vermont must be beautiful this time of year, all that snow”.
All true, and of course Vermont is a perfect holiday destination at ALL times of year, both winter and summer. The state is proud of its beautiful small towns, quiet roads, and a very green environment in all senses.
Some visitors are not quite able to put their finger initially on why Vermont is so delightfully different, then after a few days here the reasons gradually become apparent:
- Eighty per cent of the state is tree covered, which means gorgeous views from most of our roads including the main highways.
- Billboards along the roads are simply not allowed, resulting in dramatically improved sightlines.
- With a population of only 600,000 it seems that everyone knows everyone else and are ready to provide knowledgeable information and referrals to our visitors.
- It is the “greenest” state in the US with over eighty per cent of electricity coming from non-carbon sources.
- And it’s the home of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream!
The Mad River Valley, encompassing the quintessential small towns of Warren and Waitsfield near the centre of Vermont, epitomizes the nature of the state as a whole. In our valley:
- All the accommodation is locally owned and operated – no chains, no franchises – meaning that you will usually be greeted and taken care of by the people who own the B&B or small country inn you are staying at.
- All the restaurants are locally owned and operated allowing you to experience Vermont ingredients and cuisine at its best.
- Not a single set of traffic lights!
- Some of the best skiing in the north eastern part of the continent at Sugarbush and at the famed Mad River Glen – “ski it if you can”. Great Nordic skiing trails in the valley as well, and snowshoeing.
- The Sugarbush golf course designed by renowned Robert Trent Jones Sr..
- One of America’s best Soaring (gliding) airports where experienced pilots will take you up to enjoy the incredible scenery of the hills and valleys from the silence of the skies.
- Great rivers and lakes for kayaking and canoeing.
- Hiking on the Green Mountain “Long Trail” and many other walking trails nearby.
- Cycling and mountain biking – Sugarbush runs their lifts in the summer from late June till early September so you can ride down without having to walk up!
- And more…
Where to stay – one of the best ways to experience Vermont hospitality is to stay at one of the many excellent B&Bs and small country inns. The Select Registry website is a good reference source as all properties listed there have passed rigorous unannounced and anonymous regular inspections.
Your choice in the Mad River Valley is of course the West Hill House B&B, near Sugarbush!
Sidebar photo credits: top two by Dennis Curran; Ben & Jerry’s, Sugarbush Resort; Sugarbush Soaring; West Hill House. Main photo by West Hill House B&B of Foliage 2012 from front lawn of B&B.