West Hill House B&B is the perfect base for exploring central Vermont. Please enjoy this list of the innkeeper’s favorite central Vermont things to do. As you will see in the video the Krog family from Denmark enjoyed visiting!
Here are some suggestions for you. Each is easy travel from the B&B and we will be happy to show you detailed directions on the map before you set out. Many activities are free, though some admission fees apply. We’ll note places en route for lunch. Return to West Hill House B&B in the afternoon and enjoy a beverage and relaxation before going out for your evening meal.
- The Food Tour includes: ice cream at Ben and Jerry’s, a variety of cheeses at Cabot Cheese, apple cider and cider doughnuts at Cold Hollow Cider Mill, a mouth watering variety at Champlain Chocolates, as well visit Danforth Pewter and Ziemke Glass Blowing studio.
- Covered Bridge Tour New England icons: these bridges vary in style and length. Beautiful to see, fun to travel through and interesting architecturally. Make a day of it, read our Mad River Valley Covered Bridge and Culinary Tour itinerary.
- Shopping Tour: Visit local shops including the Farmers’ Market (Saturday mornings June-October), antique shops, a kitchen store with cooking classes, art and photography galleries, home décor shops, book shops and pottery and glass blowing studios.
- Hiking: In this area there are easy walks under an hour as well as 4 to 8 hour hikes with a bit of challenge to them though not requiring special equipment other than good hiking boots, appropriate clothing and lots of energy.
- Waterfall Tour: A variety of beautiful waterfalls can be found on this self-guided tour so have your cameras ready. All have amazing views and several have woodland walks.
- Shelburne Farms: Visit a 566 hectare working farm and National Historic Landmark. Explore on your own or join one of the guided tours.
- Shelburne Museum offers an immense collection of buildings, art, toys, automata, carriages, decorative and folk art, fabrics and tools and special exhibits. Café on premises. Discount admission available.
- Activities: Please have a look also at our Winter Activities, Summer Activities, Recreational Activities and Day Trips for more ideas.
Most guests truly enjoy spending at least 3 days in the area to explore. We’re happy to help you design your own self-guided tours and activities. Ask before you arrive or when you get here.