Are you looking for a delightful winter destination that far outshines the rest? Then you need to head to Vermont. We have the perfect list of fun things to do in Vermont in Winter, and it all starts right here at our luxury Bed and Breakfast in Warren, Vermont. Our Inn is located near two popular Vermont ski areas, Sugarbush and Mad River Glen. It’s hard to go wrong when visiting Vermont in the winter, but it’s even better when you add a stay at our Bed and Breakfast.
The West Hill House Bed and Breakfast is nestled in Vermont’s famous Mad River Valley. Not only is this valley exceptionally beautiful year-round, but it offers an authentic glimpse into life in Vermont as few destinations can. Book a room at our Vermont Bed and Breakfast.
Things to do in Vermont Near our Inn
People flock to the mountains of the Mad River Valley in Vermont year-round. In summer, the hills offer exceptional hiking, and in the fall they are alight with the vibrant colors of autumn. Come winter, they turn into busy ski hills and there are a number of fun things to do in Vermont. If you haven’t yet experienced this exceptionally beautiful valley during winter, now is the time. Even if you don’t like to get out and play in the snow, you’ll enjoy gazing upon the mountain scenery under a powdery fresh blanket of snow.
If you do love to play in the snow, you aren’t alone. In fact, the Mad River Valley of Vermont is known to have some of the best downhill and Nordic skiing on the east coast. Here are 10 of the best things to do in Vermont in winter, all of which are located within easy reach of our Vermont Bed and Breakfast.
- Mad River Glen is one of the best Vermont ski areas around, and one of our favorite things to do in Vermont in winter. The best part about it, aside from the great ski runs, is that it’s still privately owned. That means Mad River Glen still feels like an old-timey ski resort where skiing in this pristine area is still an adventure. Snowboarding is still not allowed on these slopes, meaning it’s a true skiers paradise.
- You’d be shortchanging yourself if you stayed exclusively at Mad River Glen. There’s also excellent skiing available at Sugarbush Resort, which has two distinct mountains; Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen. Together, there are more than 100 ski trails to explore, and multiple days worth of fun in the snow.
- Strap on a pair of cross country skis or snowshoes, and explore the stunning Dana Forest Trail. It’s known as the “Enchanted Forest Trail.” Other great places for cross country skiing or snowshoeing include Ole’s Cross Country Ski and Snowshoe Center and Blueberry Lake.
- Have you ever been dog sledding? It’s a unique winter adventure, no doubt. Sled dog adventures with October Siberians are plenty of fun and are available at Little River State Park.
- See the scenic covered bridges of Vermont covered in a pristine layer of snow. There’s a covered bridge right here in Warren, and plenty nearby to enjoy on a 42-mile drive put together by the Mad River Valley Chamber of Commerce.
- Take a waterfall tour around the Mad River Valley. These falls are beautiful in the winter, but exercise caution around them at all times.
- Go ice skating at Skatium, an outdoor skating rink in Waitsfield VT.
- Go fat-tire biking at Blueberry Lake. They offer bike rentals on-site for an easy day of fun.
- Have you always dreamed of traveling to Iceland? In Vermont, you can get as close to the real thing as possible with a ride on an Icelandic Horse. The Vermont Icelandic Horse Farm isn’t too far away and offers one of the most unique things to do in Vermont in winter.
- Winter can’t be all about spending time in the great outdoors. Though it’s beautiful out there, there’s plenty to enjoy indoors, too. Browse for trinkets at the “Almost World Famous” Warren Store, head to the Mad River Taste Place where you can taste samples of food and beverages from the Mad River Valley, or curl up by the fire at our romantic Inn.
If you want someone to do all the planning for you and show you the best of the Mad River Valley this winter, consider one of the tours and options with Clearwater Sports. For something truly unique, take their Full Moon/Headlamp Snowshoe Dinner Tour. Talk about a way to spend a romantic evening in Vermont!
The Best Lodging in the Mad River Valley
That’s quite a list of fun things to do in Vermont in winter! Whatever it is you do, you’ll need a place to rest at the end of the day. The cozy guest rooms at the West Hill House Bed and Breakfast in Warren are calling your name.
Wake up each morning of your stay to a deliciously-prepared breakfast. It’s the perfect fuel for a day in the snow! If you need help planning out which of these things to do in Vermont in winter makes the most sense for you, our Innkeepers will be happy to help with personalized concierge service. We make it easy to relax and enjoy your time in Vermont with none of the stress. Book your room at the best lodging in the Mad River valley today!