Some facts to ponder:
- Bottled water costs the eager buyer up to 10,000 as much as tap water.
- We are shipping 1 billion water bottles a week around the U.S. in ships, trains, and trucks.
- Plastic bottles require energy to make and transport. Currently, the amount of oil we use to produce water bottles each year (17 million barrels) could fuel over 1,000,000 cars for an entire year.
- Only 22% of the bottles get recycled; the rest end up in landfills (or worse).
- Roughly 50 billion plastic water bottles end up in U.S. landfills each year — 140 million every day!
- It takes over 700 years for plastic to decompose.
- The University of Vermont UVM will be the first public university in the country to end the sale of bottled water, effective January 1st 2013.
- Tap water in the United States is subject to more stringent federal safety regulations than bottled water.
- West Hill House B&B has beautiful spring-fed well water available free of charge from every faucet in the B&B.
We think the above says it all! As a Green Hotel in the Green Mountain State, we believe it is time to encourage a change in perspective. To help the process along we provide all our guests complimentary West Hill House B&B re-usable water bottles to use with our beautiful tasting water while they are here and take home with them if they wish.
Please make giving up bottled water YOUR New Year’s resolution!