If you haven’t yet heard of the Mad River Glen Ski area in Vermont, it’s high time you pay this charming gem a visit. Mad River Glen is the last remaining shareholder-owned ski area in the country and is a true delight for skiers. It’s located in Vermont’s beautiful Green Mountains. Moreover, it’s just minutes down the road from our luxury Bed and Breakfast, making us the perfect home away from home.
It does feel like ski season just started here in Vermont, but it will be coming to a close before you know it. Now is the perfect chance to secure your opportunity to ski these beautiful hills. Take advantage of the great skiing in the Mad RIver Valley and book your room at our Vermont Bed and Breakfast today!
5 Reasons to Ski at Mad River Glen
There are a number of legendary ski areas in Vermont. Beyond nearby Sugarbush, other great places in Vermont to ski include Mount Snow, Stowe Mountain, Stratton Mountain, Killington, Jay Peak, and Okemo Mountain, in addition to a whole host of others. But, despite all of these great places to ski in Vermont, we think one of the best-hidden gems in the state is the Mad River Glen.
Mad River Glen often makes the “must-ski” list for a number of skiers in Vermont, though it is sometimes glossed over by publications like Condé Nast when listing the best places to ski in Vermont. Largely, that is because many ski areas, like those listed above, are much larger and offer more amenities. But it certainly doesn’t mean skiing is better.
On even the busiest days, you’ll find that the Mad River Glen just doesn’t feel crowded. Mad River Glen offers some of the most challenging and diverse terrains in New England, but their 4 chair lifts up the mountain make it feel like you have the mountain almost to yourself. If you need even more reasons to come ski this gem of a mountain, here they are:
- The vertical drop at Mad River Glen is just over 2,000 feet, and it offers an incredible range of skiing for all experience levels. Experts and thrill-seekers can take the Single Chair (Lift 1) up to the top of Mad River Glen, and ski top-to-bottom on true black-diamond trails, while beginner and intermediate level skiers will find plenty of terrain to enjoy off lifts 2 and 3.
- Unlike many other ski resorts in this day and age, this unique ski resort offers natural snow skiing. You won’t find any snow-making here!
- They are also one of the last ski resorts in the country to prohibit snowboarding, which means skiers can enjoy following the natural cut of the mountains the way they were meant to be skied.
- Mad River Glen offers skiers an unparalleled sense of character and history that you just don’t find at large ski resorts.
- There is a special camaraderie among those who ski here, as Mad River Glen is one of the few remaining cooperatively owned, non-commercial, family-friendly ski resorts. The sense of place experienced here is second to none.
The Best Lodging Near Mad River Glen
There are a number of hotels, motels, and bed and breakfasts in nearby Waitsfield, VT. But why stay there, when you stay in the quiet countryside in the unique and luxurious accommodations offered at the West Hill House Bed and Breakfast? We’re located in the small town of Warren, Vermont, and are just 15 minutes down the road from Mad River Glen.
Here, you’ll enjoy a freshly prepared breakfast every morning of your stay, a cozy room to come back to, and the best hospitality in Vermont. Book your getaway today!