For us, fall is all about scenic drives in Vermont and beholding the state’s beautiful natural color. The best way to take in as much of those fiery reds, blazing oranges, and flashing golds as possible is with a scenic drive. Or lots of scenic drives.
And what better place to launch those scenic drives in Vermont than from our top-rated Vermont bed-and-breakfast. Not only are our nine guest rooms full of all the comforts that guarantee that you’ll start and end the day in a well-rested state, but we’ll send you on your way with a hearty New England breakfast and give you room to wind down upon your return with a glass of wine, a mug of beer or a few fingers of Scotch at our in-house bar. We know what you want and we’re here to take care of you. So book your room today!
Our Favorite Stunning Scenic Drives in Vermont for Fall
Here are some of the scenic drives in Vermont, not too far from our bed-and-breakfast, that we like the best:
- Any day of scenic drives in Vermont should begin with the Mad River Scenic Byway. What this 36-mile drive lacks in length it more than makes up for in variety. Following two of Vermont’s most scenic roads, Routes 100 and 100B, the river valley is a visual feast of forested mountains, hillside farms, and church-steepled villages. If you’re inclined to stop a lot to shop or simply stare at the stunning landscapes, here’s a guide to what you’ll come across in more detail.
- Not too far west and definitely worth the day away is the Lake Champlain Byway. Many of its 134 miles, on a series of highways and secondary roads, runs along the lake’s eastern shores and offers stunning shore ad island views with virtually every bend in the road. (Keep an eye out for Champ, the lake’s legendary monster.)
- Running right through Warren is the Green Mountain Byway or the Scenic Route 100 byway, known by many as “Vermont’s main street.” This 146-mile route runs straight north-south along the eastern edge of the Green Mountains. There’s plenty to stop and stare at, and do, along the way, so prepare for a long day if you plan to one of the great scenic drives in Vermont right.
- If you’re curious about Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom, an isolated pocket of America and Americana with a unique culture, we suggest you drive the Northeast Kingdom Byway, a 55-mile stretch from St. Johnsbury, northeast of us, to Derby near the Canadian border. Be sure to stop in Derby for a gander at the Haskell Opera House, which straddles the border.
- Craftsbury Common and Hazen’s Notch. This northern Vermont loop route, 107 miles long, stretches nearly to the Canadian border. This drive features great leaf views, a number of covered bridges, the quaint village of Craftsbury Common, and even a slice of the Hazen Military Highway, which dates back to the revolutionary war. You can jump into the loop in Stowe, a short hop from us.
- A shorter — 41 miles — but no less scenic drive in Vermont from Stowe is the Jeffersonville, Johnson and Hyde Park route. A stop and a stroll along the Barnes Camp Boardwalk is a must.
- Another short but stunning route takes in Stowe Hollow and Little River Dam. This one offers not just great leaf-peeping, but a dazzling covered bridge, historic farm structures, a cheese store, and, oh, by the way, runs past the Ben and Jerry’s ice-cream factory. Watch this video to help you plan your itinerary.
- The Crossroad of Vermont Byway, just a bit south of us, is a nice 41-mile west-east route between Rutland and Hartford. This drive crosses the Green Mountains and as such offers no shortage of high scenic viewpoints, as well as a number of charming towns and villages to explore. You’ll even come across a portion of the famed Appalachian Trail if you’re inclined to take a short but memorable hike.
Let Us Be Your Home Base for Scenic Drives in Vermont
What better way is there to wind up a day of scenic drives in Vermont than with a cozy, warm guest room loaded with amenities in our Vermont bed-and-breakfast? Stay in or visit with other guests in the common areas, sip on a good drink, stroll our gardens, and set your dinner plans for someplace special nearby — we anticipate your every wants and needs. So reserve a room with us today!